Behind a visual barrier, arrange three cones of differing colors.
Set one cone of each color at 10m, 20m and 30m from the visual barrier.
Athlete races to the first set of cones, and guesses at the correct order to match the hidden pattern behind the visual barrier. Then they race back to the coach, who tells them how many they have correct.
The athlete races to the second set of cones and makes a more educated guess at the correct arrangement of cones. They sprint back to the coach and are told how many they have correct.
If necessary, they take their final chance on the third set of cones.
To make the challenge more difficult:
- increase the distance between cones
- increase the number of colors to four or five
- remove previous attempts from eyesight (athlete has to recall previous attempts)
To make the challenge easier:
- decrease the distance between cones
- use only two colors with three cones (two red and one yellow, for example)
The purpose of this exercise is to plan for failure: few will make correct guesses on the first attempt. The key is for the athlete to learn that failure is expected and critical to eventual success as long as lessons are learned from each attempt.
Ignite BrainWODs are comprised of 7 phases (the Ignite 7 Steps.) Warmups, focus drills, pre-CrossFit Kids workouts and anchoring activities precede and follow this challenge for optimal benefit.